Is your teen a new driver? May is National Teen Safe Driving Month and the perfect opportunity to discuss safe driving tips with the new driver in your life. Here are some statistics and tips to review with new drivers to help them stay safe behind the wheel.
Consider these sobering statistics on teen driving:
- Automobile accidents are the number one killer of our nation’s youth.
- Drivers under the age of 20 were involved in 13% of all accidents, yet they account for only 5% of all drivers.
- 5,000 teenagers die each year from auto accidents.
- Alcohol is responsible for almost half of all teen motor vehicle deaths.
- 25% of all teen accidents involve speeding.
- Half of all teenage traffic fatalities occur between 6:00 p.m. Friday and 3:00 a.m. Sunday.
- In one year, drivers 19 and under were involved in close to 3 million motor vehicle accidents.
- The price of a bad decision can include injury to yourself or others, loss of life, loss of life style or loss of personal freedom.
Source: Insurance Information Institute; www.iii.org